1. Boil the bulgar wheat in boiling salted water till it is cooked but still has a bite. Drain and set aside to dry.
2. Cut the baby carrots in half and boil for 2-3 minutes. Tip into ice cold water and drain and set aside.
3. Cut each beetroot into four chunks.
4. Cut the shallots lengthways and in a very hot and dry pan char them from each side and let them cool.
5.Now toss together all of the salad ingredients and put on a platter.
6. For the dressing warm some olive oil on a very low heat, mix in the balsamic vinegar and salt. Pour on top of the salad and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Serve warm.