1. Place the rice noodles in a large bowl and pour over warm water to cover.
2. Put the dried shrimp in another bowl and add warm water to cover.
3. Leave both to soak for 20 minutes or until soft, then drain well.
4. Mix the tamarind paste with a splash of boiling water to loosen. Add the fish sauce and palm sugar. Mix and taste. Adjust flavour to taste.
5. Heat a wok or large frying pan till it is very hot. Add oil when it is very hot. Fry the garlic and shallots for 1 minute. Add uncooked prawns and cook for 1 minute, then add the drained dried shrimp and chilli flakes and toss together. Add the drained noodles to the wok and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
6. In another pan, add a tsp of oil and add the eggs, allow to set, then scramble them and mix into the noodles.
7. Add the tamarind paste and mix well. Add the beansprouts, spring onions and half the peanuts. Toss well and cook for a few minutes.
8. Divide the pad Thai into serving bowls, sprinkle with remaining peanuts, and serve with the lime wedges, to squeeze over. Serve Hot.